From the interview with Viktoria Gorelova
Ganna as a choir vocalist…
Al Khubairat Singers was founded in 2007 by the Director of Performances at The British School Al Khubairat, Jonathan Lyall. The group has held concerts many times in Abu Dhabi, including at the Emirates Palace with the BBC Concert Orchestra and with the United Arab Emirates NSO. The choir also regularly sings at the St. Andrew’s Church including on Remembrance Day and at Easter.
– When did you join Al Khubairat Singers and what works have you performed with them?
– I joined Al Khubairat Singers at the beginning of 2012, and our performances have included Handel’s “Dixit Dominus”, parts of his “Four Coronation Anthems”, chorus scenes from Verdi’s operas, Brahms’ “A German Requiem”, Christmas carols, the Durufle “Requiem”, and several other miscellaneous works.
References on Al Khubairat performances:
Life in the capital of the Emirates is like nowhere else on Earth, it is quite a different world. Naturally as a musician I am always interested in the concerts held here
– Ganna, please could you describe a performer’s life in the great city and Pearl of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi?
– Life in the capital of the Emirates is like nowhere else on Earth, it is quite a different world. Naturally as a musician I am always interested in the concerts held here. The annual Abu Dhabi Musical Festival held in the Auditorium of the Emirates Palace hotel is always wonderful, and there are many other music venues, including for instance, the esplanade on Yas Island where there have been concerts from world famous musicians like Elton John, Madonna, Rihanna, Eminem, Kylie Minogue, Andrea Bocelli and many others. I’ve had the good fortune to be at most of the concerts of these stars and have heard and seen their fantastic shows!
…More often than not it is difficult to achieve what you wish for, but if you try and have a good stab at it – often you can be successful
Abu Dhabi saw thirty thousand spectators in the Du Arena Square, Yas Island on the occasion of the Concert by the world famous legendary group The Rolling Stones on February 21st, 2014. Ganna Sorbat was in the backing group for the performance.
…We knew that we were on the stage with a legendary group, that for everyone there, this day would go down in history and stay in our memories for a long time. It is worth living, learning and working for such moments – for the sake of such highlights!
– Ganna what was your impression about performing with the Rolling Stones band in Abu Dhabi?
– Our choir backing group sang “You can’t always get what you want” with the Stones. I see reflection in my own life of the words of that song: more often than not it is difficult to achieve what you wish for, but if you try and have a good stab at it – often you can be successful.
When it was our turn to appear on stage, the thirty thousand strong crowds cheered us on. And at that moment frankly speaking I was afraid I might faint – from fear or joy, or a mixture of both, that we were there before such a crowd. One thought helped and consoled me. We knew that we were on the stage with a legendary group, that for everyone there, this day would go down in history and stay in our memories for a long time. It is worth living, learning and working for such moments – for the sake of such highlights!
References Al Khubairat Singers on performance with Rolling Stones:
– When are you going to perform your next concerts with Al Khubairat Singers and what is the program for that shows?
– On April 25th, 2014 there must be the Concert of Al Khubairat Singers and UAE choir with National Symphony Orchestra in Abu Dhabi National Theatre. The famous Carl Orff’s “Carmina Burana” scenic cantata will be performed. Another performance of “Carmina Burana” is planned on May 27th at British School Al Kubairat with Al Khubairat Singers and with Morgan State University Choir (USA). Here are some details from website of Morgan State University Choir: http://www.msuchoir.org
Text: Viktoria Gorelova